Sunday, March 27, 2011

2012 GT-R

I parked my Honda Civic and drove another of the world's best cars this afternoon. Previously, I've experienced a BMW M6, a CLK 63 AMG Black Series, Porsche Cayenne, BMW X6M and a 2009 GT-R. But, this thing made my special spot tingle like no other car I've been in.

With two people in the car, we did 0-60 in 3.4 seconds slowed by wheel spin resulting from a cold road. This GT-R is reported to be able to do the same feat in 2.88 seconds. Crazy fast.

To put this acceleration in perspective, Ferrari asserts that its 599 GTO, its fastest ever road car, can do 0-62 in 3.35 seconds. The GT-R is faster than the fastest Ferrari off the line.

My purpose with this blog post is, however, not to do a review of cars. I've put links in that do that better than I could. My thoughts are on quality. The 0-60 numbers only quantify some of the qualities of the GT-R. Knowing someone generous enough to let me drive this list of expensive toys similarly quantifies quality. I appreciate the amazing cars, but am more impressed with someone who shares so freely.

Thanks for the drive; quality counts.

More GT-R pictures here. More data and an article here.

2 comments:

SeanH said...

I am more than a little envious.

I had a GT-R following behind me in the Kenwood area a couple of weeks ago. With my time limited glimpses in the rear view mirror I could not figure out what it was. All I could identify was the Nissan badge on the grill. He finally made a turn behind me and I could see the whole car. Then I knew what it was right away. Impressive car.

Did you see the Top Gear where Jeremy injured his neck test driving a GT-R?

Heath said...

I did see the Top Gear episode. The car is amazing. I would love to drive it on the Top Gear track. You just can't use the car's capabilities on the road. Wicked acceleration is only one of the things it does well. I also like that is a Nissan.

Drove by Salem Hills today. Thought about riding there. Soon!