Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Monsters in the News



Both of these pictures creep me out in an ancient, deep way. The first one washed ashore on a beach on the East Coast near Long Island, while the other is a deformed pig from China. I read about both on Boing Boing The pig causes revulsion amongst all but one boy who is hand feeding it. The beach "monster" is stirring up in people conspiracy theories about secret government animal testing labs.

The dynamics of fear, horror, rejection and paranoia are ubiquitous. Next groups will be using emotional reactions to these "monsters" to promote their causes.

I'm having an intra-personal war on my own feelings of terror. A rational understanding will keep me from becoming something terrible myself.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
German philosopher (1844 - 1900)


1 comment:

Jared said...

I think the lack of size perspective contributes to the first one's creepiness. Is it rat size or elephant size? Also I bet that first animal had a fleshy nose area and we are seeing the bone/cartilage under it rather than a beak. My guess is a dog. Or a monster.