Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tires


When I purchase tires for my bikes, I painstakingly read reviews and use my own experiential information to make a well informed decision, as tires matter. Traction, rolling resistance, price, durability and appearance are all variables I consider.

So when my Toyota needs tires I run to the local Costco and focus mainly on price and brand. I've had good luck in the past with Michelin tires so I get them again.

I'm sure tires differ greatly but have little experience from which to judge tread patterns. Too bad that it isn't possible to "try on" a few different tires on before choosing. Since this is not an option, I simply rely on printed literature from the manufacturer. My new tires are described as follows:

Features & Benefits

* 80,000-Mile Limited Warranty*
X® Radial DT tires feature MaxTouch Construction™, a unique contact patch shape and design that allows for long-lasting, even treadwear. The tread life of the X Radial DT tires last up to 15,000 more miles versus the leading competitor.†
* Quiet, Comfortable Ride
Michelin Comfort Control Technology™ uses computer-optimized design and precision manufacturing to offer greatly reduced vibrations and road noise.
* Sure Grip in Wet and Snow
An all-weather tread pattern includes full-depth sipes for exceptional traction in rain or snow that lasts throughout the entire life of the tire.


In the end my new tires are great. $314 well spent. The car drives like new, but I can't help wonder if it could have been even better.

No comments: